background

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Crunchie Bars

While Matt and I were exploring Epcot at Disney World, we came across the candy bars in the England section.  We both enjoyed them (maybe a little too much?)...We really liked the crunchie bar by Cadbury but they are hard to find (one of our local Indian groceries sometimes carries them though).....so I went looking for a recipe! After a trying a few, I came up with a combination of the recipes that both looked and tasted good.

Homemade Crunchie Bars

1 cup sugar (extra fine, if you can find it)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons golden syrup (we found it in the international aisle of our grocery store)
1 teaspoon baking soda
chocolate to melt (I usually use milk chocolate chips)

Prepare your tray or dish.  I used an 8x8 glass dish lined with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
Stir the sugar, honey, and golden syrup in a LARGE pot (trust me, you will need a good sized pot for this!) over medium heat until the mixture becomes creamy.  When you see bubbles start to form, you want to simmer the mixture for 4-5 minutes.  Then turn up the heat slightly to bring it to a boil for 1-2 minutes.  (Make sure not to burn the mixture!)  Next add the baking soda.  Mix well and then take off the heat.  Adding the baking soda and mixing will make your mixture puff up quite dramatically. (This is why a large pot is needed.) Pour the mixture into your prepared dish. Do not pat it down, as you want this to be light and fluffy.
Cool in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.  Then you will break the bars into chunks.  I usually just break it with my hands, but if you have a stubborn bit you could carefully use a kitchen knife. Make sure that all the aluminum foil is off your chunks!
Next you need to melt your chocolate.  My preferred method is in a glass bowl in the microwave.  I nuke the chocolate for about 2 minutes using 30 second intervals.  Then I dip the chunks into the chocolate and place them on a tray lined with plastic wrap..  I usually freeze the crunchie bars on the tray for about 10 minutes so that the chocolate can set up.  Then I store them in a container in the fridge. 





No comments: